[AMRadio] Suggestions for restoring a DX-100

Bill Smith billsmith at ispwest.com
Wed Apr 3 16:53:53 EST 2002

There are two major considerations, leakage and power factor.  Given
unlimited wealth, of course the best solution is to use new caps and throw
the old ones away (or use them as shells to make rebuild caps).

Some (and many by all means are just no good anymore) caps can be brought
back to service.  George mentions caps he has fought, with poor results, and
I have had the same experience.  But I have a lot of old radios that are
running just beautifully with their original electrolytics, too.

All you can do is try reforming them.  If you have to tease the leakage out
of them, they are likely not going to provide good service.  If they have a
high power factor (as measured with commonly available capacitor testers),
they have opened up, and are defective.  Sometimes power factor will improve
with reforming, but I wonder at the quality of the cap.

If you can add a diode to a transformer, you have built a simple dc supply.
Add a millampere meter, you have a reforming circuit.  Add a good sized
resistor in series to make the job easier and provide some sort of
short-circuit protection.

10 ma/ 350 volts = 35K resistor.   Anything around that value will be ok.

W = E^2 / R, or 350v ^2 / R = 3.5 watts, use a 10 or 20 watt resistor.

Hook the thing to a light-dimmer or a variac.  Keep the reforming current
under 10 ma and gradually increase the voltage over a period of hours to the
rated value of the capacitor.  Some caps may take a day to reform,
especially if you maintain a low charging current (about 1-2 ma).  After a
day, set the cap aside for a week or so, then try charging it again.  If the
cap shows high leakage, or a high power factor, it is probably spent, but if
it acts as a new capacitor you have saved a good part.

73 de Bill, AB6MT
billsmith at ispwest.com