[AMRadio] Re: Apache audio Real good

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Mon Apr 15 23:06:47 EDT 2002

Gary,

The DX-100 modulator description that appears in the manual on BAMA
bears out your comments (see the bottom of
ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/heath/dx100/dx100p05.gif for the details).
Similar description does not appear in the Apache manual.  Indeed, the
Apache manual specifically states that the modulation transformer is
matched to the modulator tubes.

The DX-100 schematic notes that the primary impedance of the modulation
transformer is 8000 ohms, p-p.  The Apache schematic notes that the
primary impedance of the modulation transformer is 11000 ohms, p-p.
Secondary impedances are (nearly) the same, and the plate voltage is the
same, and the modulation transformers are the same, and there aren't any
other components left unaccounted for, so I wonder if the tubes are the
answer.  Gotta think about this one....

In the DX-100 there is a .02 uF capacitor connected across the
modulation transformer secondary to roll off the unwanted high
frequencies.  Something like this (maybe .01 uF instead) might be a
good, neighborly thing to install in an Apache equipped with a W3SCC
audio circuit.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ