[AMRadio] Telephone line bandwidth for AM Phone Patch

COLEMANJ at sbcglobal.net COLEMANJ at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 21 11:12:29 EDT 2003

Hi Jim:
	The majority of telephone equipment (answer
machines, modems, fax, ect.) has filtering in it to
bypass RF.  The bypass capacitance in these things
causes the higher frequency components of the audio
to be rolled off.  This bypassing also kills DSL
signals.  The devices that you install to make your
lines DSL ready, should be called blockers instead of
filters, because they have inductors in series with
each line that will keep the higher frequency
components of any signal on the line, while stopping
it from reaching the other telephone equipment.
Obviously the connection that is to be used for the
DSL modem must not have a blocker on it or the HF DSL
signal will not reach the DSL modem.  My house wiring
was to weird to deal with so I installed a splitter
outside at the TELCO block and put one blocker there
for the house telephone equipment and ran a separate
line to the place where I wanted the DSL modem to
be.  This way I didn't have to worry about all the
stuff in the house.  You probably could have
unplugged all other telephone equipment in the house
except your computer modem and the connection rate
would have been better as well.  I don't think  that
matching Z on the phone patches is very important.
As a mater of fact I think the phone patch should
represent as high Z as posible to the phone line so
as to not load it down.  But equilization is very
important as is balance and isolation from ground to
prevent common mode hum.

Good Luck
 John, WA5BXO