[AMRadio] Compactrons Used In Ham Gear

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Thu Apr 1 09:49:41 EST 2004

Here is the list I come up with after searching the web and getting all of your replies. Some people expressed an interest in the 6T9 tube and I think those are available cheaply from AES. There is probably lots missing from this list, especially many sweep-type compactron finals.

For what it's worth, here it is. I will be going through my compactron pile and posting any that I don't need. I gathered them all together last night and probably have 200. But I don't recall seeing many of these types.

Updates are always welcome.
73, Don Merz, N3RHT

6AF11 used by early Yaesu and GE homebrew plans. See  http://www.jvgavila.com/compac.htm
6AN8 used in Heathkit and Dynaco audio amplifiers
6AS11 used in Heathkit SB-300, SB-301, SB-400, SB-401
6AV11 used in Heathkit SB-401. A triple-triode supposed to be 1.5 12AU7s.
6C10 used in Heathkit HO-10 and HO-13 'scopes
6D10 used in Heathkit SB-401 and WRL SB-175. 6D10 is a triple triode.
6E10 used in Heathkit SB-610 scope
6GE5 used in Heathkit HW-16 in the final. Equivalent to octal 6DQ6B.
6HF5 used in Drake 2-NT in the final.
6HF9 used in Heathkit SB-300 (may not be a Compactron per-se)
6J11 used in Heathkit SB-401
6JB6 used as finals in the Drake T4-series transmitters
6JM6 used in Yaesu FT-100 Transceiver
6JS6 used in Yaesu FT-101
6M11 used in superhet published in Elementary Electronics magazine
6T9 used in 1972 ARRL Handbook 80/40 CW rig
12GE5s (2) used by Heathkit HW-12,22,32

Notes:

Yaesu FT-DX560 uses compactrons in the final