[AMRadio] RE: negative cycle loading

Brett Gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at mci.com
Mon Apr 5 09:13:19 EDT 2004

John,
Yes, I am well aware of the stuff in the link you posted.

The problem is, the NCL circuit SHOULD work well, but does not.
Maybe its the voltage drop through the high voltage bricks, or rather
the voltage it takes for them to conduct.
On the bricks, its volts, maybe as high as 5 volts before they conduct.
Or maybe they are just too slow for higher frequency audio stuff.

Since the circuit works as far as the mod monitor indicates,
there must be something very fast making it through the circuit.
If I could just find a way to eliminate the short spikes
of over 100% negative making it through, it would work great.

My voice does not show a huge difference between positive
and negative, maybe 10%?

I suppose a low level method would work best, but like the idea
of a circuit in the RF deck that prevents negative overmod no matter
what I do.

Looking at the circuit, maybe I will try some things, like
returning the load resistor to ground instead of the power supply,
putting a cap across some of the diodes to smooth things, etc.

Brett
N2DTS