[AMRadio] RE: negative cycle loading

W7QHO at aol.com W7QHO at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 18:51:17 EDT 2004

Brett,

Sounds to me like you're hard clipping the negative peaks, either in your
negative loading setup and/or by driving the PA down below zero.    Hard to be
definitive here, though, not knowing exactly what circuit you're using.   The
"three diode" circuit I'm familiar with doesn't use an additional power supply
(see http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/3diode.htm).   If adjusted properly, this
circuit will allow modulation percentages in excess of 100 on positive peaks
without overmodulation (i.e., more that 100%) in the negative direction.
Does distort the speech waveform to be sure but does not produce spurious
products out 30 kHz or more.   It's also possible to misadjust this circuit to
splatter like hell.

Dennis D. W7QHO
Glendale, CA

multipart/alternative
  text/html
The reason this message is shown is because the post was in HTML
or had an attachment.  Attachments are not allowed.  To learn how
to post in Plain-Text go to: http://www.expita.com/nomime.html  ---