[AMRadio] RE: negative cycle loading

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 22:40:50 EDT 2004

John,

Good point about the screens on tetrodes. I had that problem when trying
to modulate a pair of 1625's. When using the normal voltage dropping
resistor to feed the screens, the screen voltage would cut off long
before the plates went to 100% negative. Sounded terrible.
I ended up with a voltage divider for the screens so that they did not
receive as much modulation. Part of the screen voltage was obtained from
B+ and part from the modulated B+. That worked fine once the proper
values were found.

I monitored the screen voltage with a dual trace scope to see when it
got cut off.

73
Gary  K4FMX