[AMRadio] Plate modulating a 807

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Thu Apr 8 02:52:29 EDT 2004

Hi Bob,

With the plate meter connection moved to R20, I think the 807 screen will
self-modulate reasonably well with a 15K screen resistor - but the 0.01uF
screen bypass is too big.  Probably it should be 1000pF to the 807 cathode,
with maybe about 300pF to modulated B+.  Maybe the screen bypass goes to the
cathode instead of ground, because it is an RF bypass for a wide frequency
range?  Actually, I don't know which ground is best, but whatever works is
OK with me.

A 300pF capacitor to modulated B+ and a 1000pF capacitor to the cathode
(effectively ground) would make a capacitive voltage divider.  If we have
(let's say) 55% modulation on the screen, that's +/-110V peak, or 220Vp-p on
the 200VDC on the screen  meanwhile there would be 100% modulation on the
plate, or +/-470V peak, or 940V p-p, on the 470VDC on the plate.  The ratio
of screen audio to plate audio is 220 to 940, or 0.234:1.  So the capacitive
divider needs to aim for 23.4% of the plate swing going to the screen, and
it will enforce this at very high audio frequencies.  300pF and 1000pF
divides to 0.231, or 23.1%, which is close enough.

If the self-modulation of the 807 screen produces less than the above amount
of voltage swing on the screen, then the 300pF capacitor can be reduced in
value to match it, or a more complex screen resistor setup can be arrranged
to increase the amount of 807 screen modulation.  However, the latter will
involve a resistor to modulated B+, and therefore might call for the use of
a clamp tube.  For now, take the simple route and reduce the 300pF cap value
as needed..

  Bacon, WA3WDR