[AMRadio] Icom R-75 Receiver Noise Blanker Issue on AM

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Fri Aug 6 07:59:57 EDT 2004

Doug,

	Here is what I did to my R-75 to get the noise blanker (NB) working on the
AM mode. See email trail below with the Icom R75 users group.

Remember that if someone is selling an Icom that is "Icom America certified
OK", you better ask them what's wrong with it...They sent my Icom back to me
saying it was fine, and that the Noise Blanker worked fine.....WRONG! It
does work now though...after I fixed it.

Jim Candela
WD5JKO

--- In icomr75 at yahoogroups.com, "Jim candela" <jcandela at p...> wrote:

> 	Frank,
>
> 	There is a description on adjusting the NB is on our Web page
along with
> alignment instructions. I don't really have the equipment to do
that nor the
> desire. It only tests the NB on SSB, doesn't mention overload
> characteristics, etc. I am somewhat a new-bee to this Icom, and to
be honest
> if the NB used a 6L7 instead of a speck of dust (tiny SM
components) for the
> noise gate I'd be more comfortable.
>
> 	I just hooked the scope to the NB test point (CP-731), and
tuned to a
> frequency void of signals except nice impulse noise at a fairly low
level.
> The thought was to not have enough signal to kick in the NB AGC
circuit.
> With the NB off, I adjusted L731, and 732 for max amplitude on the
scope,
> which was about 3 volts peak. Switch the NB on, and the pulses
square off at
> the threshold plus a diode drop (Q735 b-e junction). This was about
1.1
> volts (SSB), and 1.8 volt (AM) on my radio. Adjusting the source
voltage on
> FET Q731 definitely has an affect on the gain, and NB signal
threshold. I am
> still not exactly sure how to set it up, but too much gain (wiper
at ground)
> leads to large signal NB overload, and too little leads to poor NB
> performance for weaker signals in the midst of proportionately
weaker noise
> spikes.
>
> 	I'm just learning here, and I don't plan to go much deeper.
For right now