[AMRadio] RE: GB> Original T.O. Keyer Article When?

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Fri Aug 13 11:42:24 EDT 2004

Yes, as Allan Cohen pointed out, the 9TO keyer is in the 16th edition (1962) of the Radio Handbook, edited by W6SAI. The version presented seems to be identical to the one in the Madison Electronics schematic on Kees HBR CD. Bill Orr refers to this circuit in the handbook as "famous" so I assume that means it was in circulation well before 1962.

The keyer I have would seem to support that idea. It uses older components. The 1962 design has miniature VR tubes while the one I have has octal VR tubes. The 1962 design uses silicon diodes as rectifiers while the one I have uses selenium rectifiers. Otherwise, the circuits seem to be identical. I am anxious to hear this thing go.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT