[AMRadio] hamfest tubes

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Mon Aug 16 23:29:40 EDT 2004

yep.. saw a 4-1000 at a hamfest, looked well used, the guy wanted $135 for it, when I asked for a guarantee that it was
reasonably good, he lowered the price to $50, so I suspected.. and passed. "sure it's good, hilk hilk.. nope, not mine, belongs
to a buddy, hilk hilk.." No way to test something like that, and you get a dud and the redneck's gone with your cash.

---Tubes: None to speak of, just misc used pulls, mostly miniatures, in small lots here and there. By the way, it turned out
that I should have stuck with my usual moratorium on buying hamfest tubes for that group of tubes I bought at Portage. Of the 5
globe tubes (3-46's and 2-45's) I bought for $65, three were bad. Hamfest tubes are always a real risk unless you can get them
so cheap that you can afford many of them to be duds or unless you know the seller.