[AMRadio] hamfest tubes

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 19:30:09 EDT 2004

I'm always leery of hamfest tubes and hamfest stereo speakers.  I have
bought many duds of both.  In the old days when you could buy kilowatt size
transmitting triodes for $5, I bought many of them and found about 40% to be
duds.  The 60% that were good made them a good buy overall.  But at today's
prices of $100 or more for a doubtful tube, I'll pass.

I'm just glad I managed to collect a good supply of tubes before the
speculators, Asian exporters and audiophools drove the prices up.

Don K4KYV