[AMRadio] Re: Yet another Scurvy Dog

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Fri Aug 20 19:55:43 EDT 2004

I found some of the transformer manuals I scanned and serve
online for free had been uploaded to BAMA and someone else
claimed the credit for them.

I thought it was rude, but decided I really don't care. evilbay
has a complaint department.. but the question is, who does the
work really belong to anymore? sure, the scanning work is yours,
and the material may or may not be copyrighted, and the company
may be out of business.. gets complex.

The way I see it, if I scan in some work that is not mine (in
good conscience because it is not supported anymore, or out of
business, or company does not care, etc), and then I post it on
the internet for all to take, why should I complain? I have given
it away to all, for the betterment of the art or hobby.

Case in point I have 4 tube manuals online, and have used a
sniffer to watch people suck them down using automation, all
600MB, a few files at a time.

I had one guy send me DEC computer manuals on CD, and I posted
them, only to find out later that he had gotten them from
VT100.org, as the owner of VT100 just happned to point out a few
weeks later. As an honest webmaster, I removed the files, and
turned the links into pointers to VT100.org.

In posting your work to BAMA, have you implicitly released the
work into the public domain?

Is there a lawyer in the house?

I have not seen my work sold on CD however. Just pop off a note
to evilbay complaint department if you don't like it. They will
shut him down and explain that he cannot do that.

Patrick

From: Mark Foltarz <Foltarz at rocketmail.com>

Well I found this ad on Ebay of a guy selling a copy of a manual
that I
uploaded to BAMA.

item=5715586007

The cover has the same  crease in the right upper corner , the
same missing
pieces on the comb binder  and the same small spots in various
locations.

I emailed the guy and can't wait to here his reply.

If you can view the Ebay site you certainly as hell can download
from BAMA.

And NO ONE will convince me thay he is doing any one  " a service. "

Nuts.

de KA4JVY
Mark