[AMRadio] To Glen, K9STH

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Aug 21 19:32:14 EDT 2004

Hi Glen:

Instead of sending you a direct message, I thought I would put it here.

I am having trouble with a couple of 6146Ws in one of my radios.  I know it
is neutralization and plan to deal with it; however something cropped up
this afternoon that I have never seen before.

Over the years, I have collected a couple of 6146As, at least according to
the boxes.  I plan to put them in the transmitter in question, then
re-neutralize the finals.  I removed them from the box to be sure they were
in good condition and noticed something puzzling.

Knowing you have dealt with more 6146s that I have, I thought I would query
you.  One of the tubes has the number 6146A written on it in white paint.
It is the same paint as the rest of the markings.  But, in the dark marking
paint that you see on most tubes, the number 6146B appears.

This puzzled me and I thought maybe you might have seen something like this
about the time the switch from As to Bs occurred.  What can you tell me?

73  Jim
de W5JO