[AMRadio] Test Equipment Recommendation

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Tue Aug 24 10:21:54 EDT 2004

Really? Is this the best recommendation that we can come up with? Every one of these that I see is awfully beat up after 30-50 years. And these were not especially high quality units to begin with.

On the other hand, I don't know what else to recommend. I am using an old Radio Shack Micronta VTVM, probably from 1970. I've had a Simpson 303 (these do not age well--to be avoided) and the RCA VoltOhmyst in several different flavors, plus several other brands. The Micronta has delivered the most reliable, accurate service of any of them. But I can't really recommend that because nobody could ever find one.

Given the advanced age of the VTVMs that survive today, this actually is a harder question than it first seems.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT