[AMRadio] Test Equipment Recommendation

Edward B Richards zuu6k at juno.com
Tue Aug 24 15:02:56 EDT 2004

Well, Don;

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The chap did not say if
he wanted laboratory quality, or just something to use once in a while. I
use a Heathkit VTVM model IM-18 with the Scope Demodulator Probe and am
quite happy with them. But then, one subscriber called me cheap.
Sometimes that is a necessity. Cheap or not at all.

Currently at auction are 10 Heathkit VTVM's and a NOS Scope Demodulator
Probe. If it were me, I would go for the IM-28 VTVM, satisfaction
guaranteed, currently at $10.49. Item # 3834671674 and the Scope
demodulator probe, NOS, currently at $9.95. Item #3834883497.

I have reconditioned about 20 Heathkit VTVM's and most of them were not
in bad shape to start with. You do have to watch the ads to be certain it
comes with the probe, as most do not. The one I recommend does have the
probe. The reason I suggest Heathkit is that there are always several at
auction, they are cheap and easy to repair / calibrate. Especially if you
have the manual. I guess a difference of opinion is what makes horse
races.

73, Ed Richards K6UUZ