[AMRadio] Test Equipment Recommendation

Geoff/W5OMR w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Aug 24 21:25:10 EDT 2004

> The Harbor freight meter can be had on sale for $19.95. I have one and
> it is ok. The other functions, capacitor, frequency etc. are almost
> useless though. The sensitivity and range for those functions are poor.
> But for a general dvm it is not bad. They do have a cheap one that they
> sell on sale for $2.95 ! It also has a transistor test function that
> works pretty well. That meter is just as accurate as any of the others.
> A great buy.

A 'general purpose' DVM was purchased by me at Radio Shack a
little over a year ago... I use it mostly for checking diodes, and my
75m frequency.  Although, it will read up to 600V, and not more
than 4 Mc.  A pretty good deal for $29.95.  Auto-ranging,
with capacitance checker, as well.

> The fluke RF probe is limited to 30 arms and  200 vdc. Have to be
> careful on a boat anchor.

Same thing on the RadioShack.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR