[AMRadio] 1977 Antenna ?

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Mon Dec 6 10:43:55 EST 2004

I have this new, old-stock antenna here. It's a two-trap dipole made by Western Radio Electronics dating from 1977. It's brand new in the box, and 27 years old. It appears to be made of copper-clad wire, two plastic-encased traps and a section of RG-58U feedline.

This looks like a decent antenna, rated at a KW on AM and CW, supposed to be no-tuner-required on 80 and 40, it's 103 feet long. I have a hankering to put up a new antenna and I am wondering whether or not to trust this old guy. I am worried about the effects of aging on the traps, center insulator and maybe the RG-58/U.

Any thoughts on this?

73, Don Merz, N3RHT