[AMRadio] 1977 Antenna ?

Larry Knapp kc8jx at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 11:21:43 EST 2004

Don....FWIW.  I believe this antenna was made by Western Radio Electronics in
Kearney, Nebraska...if I remember correctly.  I had one in use as a novice back
in Colorado in 1961 as KN0FRJ.  It worked on 80, 40 and 15 meters, then worked
OK on 20 when I got my general.  Of course that was when I used a DX-20 and
DX-40 which could match to a bedspring.  It depends upon how you are going to
use it...it seems to me this is a typical trapped dipole...similar to others of
the era.  If I were you I would not trust the fact that "no tuner needed".  It
depends upon what you plan to load it with.  It 'should' load to at least a
KW....though I never had a KW amplifier....only about 75 watts at maximum.  I
would suspect the traps though and the plastic covering them.  I had difficulty
with them after several moves (to Illinois and Michigan).  The traps have some
type of metal that the wire attaches to and it rusts pretty easily....plus the
screws that attach to the traps.

This is just one person's opinion.

73, Larry KC8JX
St. Joseph, Mi