[AMRadio] 3-500Z vs 4-400A

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Fri Dec 10 07:21:43 EST 2004

Patrick,

      For a "legal" AM plate modulated ham rig, running the tubes you
mentioned as you mentioned is way over kill. Heck, ~ 300 watts or so of
audio is all you will ever need to modulate the a rig designed for 375 watts
carrier output. If I had 4-400's I'd go AB1 and run it as a tetrode. Sure,
that requires a bias supply, and a screen supply. The drive will be simpler,
and a lot less swing, enough simpler to justify the extra complexity of the
extra power supplies. A 12AX7 driver would do fine.

      As for your question, yes it's workable. I would use negative feedback
however to linearize those tubes a bit since distortion will be fairly high.
The hardest part of your plan is getting undistorted drive from the driver.
Maybe use one of your 2 X 8005 PA amplifiers driving a quality audio output
transformer in reverse.

Regards,
Jim