[AMRadio] (no subject)

wa5bxo at pctechref.com wa5bxo at pctechref.com
Sun Dec 12 14:04:54 EST 2004

Hi Bob:
	I thought the 20K resistor trick was invented by RCA.  I seem to remember (of course these days I forget a lot) an article in a RCA manual about the experiments done by RCA prior to the 6L6, where the 20K resistor was to get rid of the distortion in Class B Zero bias triode operation.  I have gotten a lot of power from 1625s doing this.  For intermittent amateur service I have run 1200 Volts on them till the goats came home, and 1800 volts for a few moments of "FOURRRRRRRS".  Of course at 750 volts, or was it 800 volts, I am not sure of the exact output but I believe with the perfect match and new tubes that they would do 120 watts as RCA said.  As for distortion, at the rated output, weeeell, I believe in inverse feed back in all cases, if possible, HIHI.

	I did the bit on 813s and found the best was full drive to the screens and reduce drive the grid via another XFMR.  But I placed full screen voltage and grid bias on both while driving both screen and grid.  It was a configuration I had never seen before and I don't know why I did it. (Because I could?) but it produced a lot of output at very low distortion with great damping.

I love this experimental talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John, WA5BXO