[AMRadio] Improving the linearity of multi-grid power tubes

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Sun Dec 12 16:05:46 EST 2004

I like the idea of full drive to screens and reduced drive to the control
grid.  It's something like the deal with 55% screen modulation with 100%
plate modulation.  And the bias idea... hmm, why not?  Makes me think of
trying a family of bias arrangements, to see which one is best, or to see if
I can finish the tests, or even get the same results twice!

My favorite arrangement now is class AB1 grounded-cathode beam tetrodes with
control grid drive and essentially normal control and screen grid DC
voltages, but slight *negative* audio applied to the screens.  If series
resistors are used to produce the negative screen audio, then damping is
slightly higher, but the damping of this arrangement is not great unless
feedback is used.

  Bacon, WA3WDR