[AMRadio] Antenna Tuner Wonderings

John Coleman wa5bxo at pctechref.com
Mon Dec 13 19:47:44 EST 2004

	What you have in mind is probably the best idea.  I'm too am not
sure what is meant by "Crappy Antenna".

	Tuning an 80 meter dipole fed with coax on 40 meters is a definite
"NoNo" because the antenna will represent many thousands of ohms Z to the
coax and depending on the length of line it could represent a very high
voltage node at the transmitter or tuner.  Most coaxial tuners will arc when
trying to match this.  At a low voltage node the Z is to low, it's all
current which is also very hard to match.  The actual loss on the Xmision
line on 40 meters can be very high if the line is a few wavelengths long
other wise no to bad maybe only 1/2 power (if the connectors don't arc).

	A balance network is best for a single ant to tune all bands or else
several antennas like what you may have is better for coax.  A broad 40
meter bazooka will work 40, and 15. Use a separate dipole for 80 and one for
20.  10 meters can be worked with just about any thing.  I have a dipole
about 250 ft from end to end and up about 100 ft.  It is fed to a balanced
homebrew tuner mounted on the shack wall.  The open wire feed line is made
of #12 wire spaced about 5.25 inches and droops to the side of the shack
wall where it is attached to strain relief insulators and then through the
Plexiglas window made just for the balanced tuner.  BJ and I can tune any
freq on all ham bands 160-10 meters.

	This ant system was a great amount of work and probably won't fit in
to most folk's idea of convenience and standard housing.  This is why I say
maybe three or more antennas as you have is best for you.

Good luck,
John, WA5BXO