[AMRadio] 3-500Z vs 4-400A

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Mon Dec 13 21:37:43 EST 2004

True, but the rig had a pair of 304TH's in it before, and is
capable of running 3600V at 1A CCS on both the modulator and PA HV
supplies (separate and individually adjustable from 0-4000V), so
I want to preserve the maker's intent by not downsizing the
modulator tubes. The modulation transformer is from an RCA 1-K
broadcast transmitter. It was built back in the "DC KW" days and
has a special 'band' for 2726KHz, a Texas State Guard frequency.
Durward Tucker W5VU spent 2 years building that 24x7 KW rig and I
must avoid doing anything that would diminish its specifications,
out of respect.

There are no simple and inexpensive replacements for 304TH except
3-500Z or 4-400 (and blower). So many of the radiation cooled
tubes like the beautiful 250TH are rare and costly, and I did not
want to use 4CX250B's or smaller radiation cooled tubes, wanted
to stay with large glass. Here's the rig's page, so you can see
what I am trying to restore.

In the Binder, there is a page showing 2160 watts tested as a DC
input at carrier condition. There was no real power limit for the
Guard's transmitters.

http://208.190.133.201/tuckerkw/tucker_transmitter.html

All I can say is that with today's restrictions on peak output
power, the tubes in the rig will just idle along, and last forever..

Patrick