[AMRadio] Antenna Tuner Wonderings

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Tue Dec 14 11:39:00 EST 2004

The antenna inventory at ARS N3RHT:

Radio works 80M Windom, one end in the attic and the other end in a tree at the far corner of the property, with ends drooped down to fit the space, fed with coax

Homebrew vertical dipole, about 40 feet total length, stuck upright in a big ole pine tree and held lovingly in place by the tree's branches, fed with 450 ohm ladder line to a Heathkit B-1 balun and then coax into the shack.

Butternut HF-6V with the 160 meter option, on top of a 30 foot pole with a home-made counterpoise following plans published in CQ. Some of the counterpoise wires have broken. Fed with coax.

Homebrew from one of the W6SAI books 10-15-20 multi-band meter dipole in the attic, center is Van Gordon 1:1 balun, tuned to resonance using MFJ 259, and fed with coax

The other stuff is VHF or too junky to be worth mentioning. In a few weeks, I will put up that 1977 NOS trap dipole that I mentioned.

My house is on a small, suburban lot, but that lot sits on the highest point for 20 miles in all directions.

Anyway....that's what I'm working with here.
All ideas appreciated.
73, Don Merz, N3RHT