[AMRadio] GR Handbook of Voltage Control

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Fri Dec 17 12:07:43 EST 2004

Okay, a little spirit of the holidays action here... The Simpson 260 repair manual I copied for anyone on the list who wanted one a few months ago was well received. So here's another one you may be interested in.

Same deal: Send me an 8.5 x 11 inch SASE with 4 stamps on it. Then I will send you a copy of the item described below. There is no need to reserve one with an e-mail reply or anything like that. I will make just as many copies as the number of envelopes that show up at my door. The copies will be reprint-quality, with no-expense-spared (uhhh, yeah...). My address is Don Merz, N3RHT, 47 Hazel Drive, Pittsburgh, PA  15228. If you write GO STEELERS! on the back of your envelope, you will also receive a free bonus surprise!

This little treasure is a 40-page booklet published in 1963 by General Radio Company which "designed, patented, introduced and manufactured" the Variac sometime around 1933. It is titled Handbook of Voltage Control With The Variac Autotransformer. It is in an 8.5 x x11 format. The booklet contains 12 pages on Theory and Principles, 19 pages on circuits using Variacs and 8 pages on specific Variac applications. All the GR Variac models are discussed in detail including connection diagrams and so forth. One section shows how to use Variacs in series and parallel applications (with the use of a choke to prevent current oscillation when the 2 Variacs' brushes are not perfectly synchronized). Motor-driven Variacs are also discussed. In short, this may be all you ever wanted to know (and then some) about the mighty Variac.

A photocopy is yours free for an 8.5 x 11 inch SASE as specified above.

Happy Holidays.
73, Don Merz, N3RHT