[AMRadio] AM WINDOW

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 21 18:03:22 EST 2004

Hi John,

Well, shucks. I don't collect the stuff, but I have very fond memories of
my Dad using his Globe Champ and his Hammarlund HQ-170A and HQ-100
receivers on AM.  As a little kid, I loved to watch the mercury vapor
rectifiers glow.  Alas, he replaced them with 3B28s, which while more
forgiving than the old 866As, don't make the beautiful blue glow that
pulsates with modulation.

There is nothing like the cozy feeling I get when I turn on a stack of tube
gear on a cold winter's night...

Merry Christmas,

Kim