[AMRadio] The AM Window

Geoff/W5OMR w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Dec 22 07:44:29 EST 2004

> The reasons, as
> mentioned earlier, antenna is cut for 3885, have no VFO, have only 1
> crystal, SSB'ers will get mad at me, transmitter is only tuned for 3885,
> etc., etc. always seem to be the answers.

Then those aren't what we call "real hams".  I don't think I know of an
AM Radio Operator that would be caught *dead* running a store-bought
dipole antenna.  Them folks are no more than an appliance operator.

I can't fathom anyone giving credence to an argument of "my dipole is
only cut for 3.885", and no AM'er worth his salt, CARES whether or not
the SSB'ers are mad at him!  TRANSMITTER is only tuned for 3885?

C'mon, Pete... yer making my teeth itch! ;-)

> Anyway, this past Sunday, listening on 75 in the late afternoon, at one
> point there were AM QSO's on 3810, 3825, 3837(AWA net meets around here),
> 3852, 3860, 3875, and 3885. Most weekends, at least here in the
> Northeast, a number of AM'ers have at least found the VFO knob, and have
> moved to other parts of the band. I'm willing to bet, at least here in
> the Northeast/middle Atlantic area,  there will more of this type
> spreading out throughout the holiday week.

And, that's a GOOD thing! :-)

Merry CHRISTmas!

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR