[AMRadio] The AM Window

Geoff/W5OMR w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Dec 22 10:27:30 EST 2004

> >Then those aren't what we call "real hams".  I don't think I know of an
> >AM Radio Operator that would be caught *dead* running a store-bought
> >dipole antenna.  Them folks are no more than an appliance operator.
>
> I get a chuckle when someone tells me they are using a "homebrew dipole".  I
> assume, by default, that when someone puts up a dipole, it is homebrew,
> especially within the AM community.

There used to be arguments disguised as "intelligent debates" when someone
said "Rig here is homebrew", and someone would say "Did you blow the glass
in those tubes, yourself?  Wind your own transformers?  Roll your own Caps?"

Where does it end?  Sure, there's a point when you say "homebrew".  But,
even classic car builders/restorers don't forge their own metal, for goodness
sake!

Grab a couple of tubes, mount the sockets, place the plate tuning cap on a
chassis... "build" from parts laying around.  That is my idea of 'homebrew'.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR