[AMRadio] The AM Window

peter A Markavage manualman at juno.com
Wed Dec 22 11:38:06 EST 2004

Quote - "Then those aren't what we call "real hams".  I don't think I
know of an AM Radio Operator that would be caught *dead* running a
store-bought dipole antenna.  Them folks are no more than an appliance
operator."

In today's world of amateur radio, what does the phrase "real hams"
really mean? If, you're comparing hams of today with hams of 40 or 50
years ago, there are major differences in their outlook and perception of
what ham radio is to them. It doesn't make them less of a "real ham"
because they choose to use a modern appliance-type radio. They're
interested in operating and using the mode and probably have less
interest in what generates it. Up in the Northeast there are a number of
hams who currently use modern (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu) radios as their main
source of AM operating.  Some of these guys have been on AM as short 2
years, whereas others have been active for over 40 years. Many AM'ers are
now choosing the ease, flexibility, and overall superiority of a modern
rig versus the constant smell and diddling of a 50 year or older radio.
Doesn't make them less of a "real ham". As far as store-bought antennas,
AM amateurs with restricted space, yards with one tree 5 foot tall,
apartments, condos, etc. sometimes have to resort to commercially made
short or trap type antennas in order to get on the air at all. Appliance
operator doesn't fit here either.

Heck, I run AM most of the time either with a Icom 756 PRO II, Kenwood
Twins, C.E. 100V, Apache, and, on rare occasions, several Johnson rigs.
The smell and diddle has started to waned for me. It just doesn't drive
my interest as much today.

Pete, wa2cwa