[AMRadio] Heavy Metal Rally

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 15:45:25 EST 2004

Geoff -

This year's Rally is next year, second week of January as I recall.
Ray said that some people complained about it being too close to the
holiday. I'd tend to agree, if it were on Christmas eve and not
Christmas night and the following day. Hopefully no one will tell the
CW folks that SK night is on New Years Eve. shhhh!

IIRC, operation on 75 was allowed last year. I missed the first
couple, so I can't say if it always was. Big change this year (other
than the date) includes allowing solid state gear, provided it runs a
big amp w/tubes after it. No idea why beyond the 'all-inclusive'
nature of today's world. I always thought that anyone could
participate, only 'heavy metal' stations were eligible to win,
however.

Word has it that some of the tall ships will be getting together on
Christmas night/weekend as usual for an informal gathering in the
spirit of Bill's original idea. I have one of the big rigs pecolating
again here, just need to get my 'homebrew dipole' back up in the air.

Seems like the holiday week is a great time to get on the air and
enjoy some good radio fun. Listening in to last year's Rally really
got me going to get a big station back on the air. Need to finish up
the BC project for 160 (I've advanced to reparing the area of the mod
reactor meltdown), but at least I have one rig ready to go. Of course,
I still need to roll it out into the kitchen and move the electric
range to plug it in, but us single guys can get away with that. The YL
likes the 'nice old radios', though. (-:

73 de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ