[AMRadio] Rothman Modulation

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Wed Dec 22 19:16:15 EST 2004

I would like to know more, here's all I ever found.

------------------------------

From: StephenTetorka at cs.com
Subject: [AMRadio] AM space

Hello All:

It is my observation that there is a goodly amount of 'open'
space from 14.3 to 14.35 MHz. most of the time.

Conditions are not favorable as 75...but having ample 'elbow
room' sure feels good.

Would it be worthwhile to consider an AM gathering location there?

PS: anyone familiar with Rothman AM modulation?

Happy Holidays,
Steve
WA2TAK

Mike Baker <k7ddmjb at qwset.net> wrote:
Hello to all.
When I was a kid I recall reading something in an old CQ/73/QST
magazine about a modulation method for AM called Tayor
Modulation.  It was sort of a precursor to controlled carrier and
used a seperate modulator tube hooked up sort of in parallel to
the final amp and usually was the same tube type.  There was no
modulation transformer like in typical class B High level
modulation schemes.
<snip>

Hi, Mike

You are thinking of "Rothman Modulation" April 1952 CQ.
(Which I can't find).  If I recall correctly, controlled
carrier screen voltage for the finals was derived from the rf
output carrier power.  I remember a picture of an outboard box
with a couple of 6Y6 style tubes (perhaps it was a single 6Y6 and
a rectifier tube), modulating a pair of 813's.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Article: 101890 of rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors