[AMRadio] The AM Window

Robert Nickels w9ran at oneradio.net
Wed Dec 22 21:36:17 EST 2004

> I get a chuckle when someone tells me they are using a "homebrew dipole"

I have to confess, as a young teen Novice my Dad and I put up a "storebought
dipole" - one of those HyGain jobs with traps for 80/40/15 meters.
Pre-Elmer, I didn't really know any better.   For Christmas that year my
folks got me a Heath SWR bridge that I carefully put together - but
concluded was defective as it showed about 5:1 SWR.   Even so, I made lots
of CW contacts using my Halli HT-40.

But after I got my General and fired it up on AM fone, the going was a lot
tougher.  A fella who was passing thru town offered to stop by and help
check out my antenna, and guess what?  His SWR bridge read the same as mine!
With his help, the trap dipole was quickly replaced with a "real dipole"
that had a flat SWR and even my pipsqueak controlled carrier AM got out a
lot better!    That was 35 years ago, and I've never bought a dipole since.

73, Bob W9RAN