[AMRadio] Antenna Tuner Wonderings

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 25 23:35:32 EST 2004

>Don,
>How did you get your dipole up 110 feet?  Is it strung between towers, or
>do
>you have some gigantic trees in your yard?  It took me a long time just to
>get mine up 35-40 feet up in my trees using a slingshot-fishing reel combo.

>Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Antenna Tuner Wonderings
>

>The dipole is cut for 80m, but I can load it up on 160 as a quarterwave
>dipole with fairly good results.  It is about 110 ft. high, so the height
>somewhat compensates for the shortness of it on 160.

I use a single tall tower, 127' tall, and two 25' high wooden poles.  Each
wooden pole is 450' from the tower.  Each end of the 80m dipole ais attached
to Phillystran cable which runs to the wooden pole.  It is pulled tight
enough to reduce the sag to negligibility.  The centre of the antenna is
attached at the 120' level (the top guying point).  The ends droop down to
about 100' on each end.  That leaves the average height at 110'.  The dipole
is not perfectly horizontal, but it is much closer to a true horizontal
dipole than to a typical inverted vee configuration.

Don K4KYV