[AMRadio] WW II Army Field Sets

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 9 15:25:53 EDT 2004

I'm hoping some of the old timers among you can help me with some
information.  I'm curious about what sorts of "portable" HF field sets were
available in the Army infantry during WW II.  I know of some AAF sets, and
some sets used in tanks, but there seems to be little information on sets
much smaller than the SCR-299 variety, which used a BC-610/Hallicrafters
HT-4 as the transmitter.  The SCR-299 was an entire system carried in a
special communications truck.

I'm looking for info about something smaller that might be carried as
something to be set up within a command post.  Perhaps along the lines of a
Johnson Viking or Globe Champion as a transmitter and a S-40 or HQ-110 or
HQ-170 as a receiver. Do any of you have info on such a beast, or know of
someplace I can go to get it? I've looked quite a bit on the web and
haven't yet found what I'm after.

Thanks,

Kim Elmore, N5OP
                           Kim Elmore, Ph.D.
                        University of Oklahoma
         Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
"All of weather is divided into three parts: Yes, No, and Maybe. The
greatest of these is Maybe" The original Latin appears to be garbled.