[AMRadio] WW II Army Field Sets

James M. Walker chejmw at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Jul 9 15:41:40 EDT 2004

Actually the SCR-299/399 was a portable rig. You just couldn't run up a hill
with it, or ford a stream. Portable being defined as able to move and setup
in
a semi-permanent facility. The carrying cases for the SCR-399 held the
receivers
a small desk, headphones, microphones, coils sets, spare tube etc.

I think I understand the question, however as for the "War Effort", the
SRC299/399
was a Battalion/Brigade level system, for "Long Range" (mostly over 100 mile
distances)
reliably. We all know that with the BC-610 for example, on 160 through 20
meters
cross country communications, and even Longer DX is possible. The military
was
shooting for "Reliable" communications however.

There are smaller sets, such as the BC-375/BC-191 units that were used but
even
smaller and more reliable units came online during the "WAR". Necessity
being the
"Mother" of invention!
Jim
WB2FCN