[AMRadio] WW II Army Field Sets

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Fri Jul 9 16:09:53 EDT 2004

Hmmmmm....(tongue firmly in cheek) a PhD should be able to do better research.... This is a very popular area for military collectors. There are many of these sets available and vast areas of discussion on the web about them.

The Army sets would be BC-191 transmitter paired with BC-342 receivers for command car sorts of setups. SCR-284 would be in this category too. The backpack set was the SCR-694/BC-1306. The handheld was the BC-611.

The Marine Corps sets would be TBY, TBX-8, SCR-284 and a few others.

The best history of these radios I have seen is in the 3-volume set by Terrett, Dulaney et al. entitled US Army In WWII: The Emergency, Volume 1, The Test, Volume 2, and The Outcome, Volume 3. These are still available from your local USGPO for about $100.

Web sites I would recommend are:

http://www.milradio.org/

http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/customer/home.php?cat=100

http://hereford.ampr.org/millist/m1.html

http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/BMI.shtml

With that as a start, you should be able to find your way.

Prices on these radios have been going through the proverbial roof. So if you are planning on owning some of these, be prepared for some sticker shock.

Good luck.
73, Don Merz, N3RHT