[AMRadio] WW II Army Field Sets

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 9 23:30:26 EDT 2004

Thanks for the kind words!

In scientific circles, we're happy if anyone actually *uses* anything we
write.  It may seem odd, but we (research scientists in academic settings)
live and die by publications. Yet, few of us hold any delusions about wide
readership.  Most who do (or have done) research will likely agree when I
say that research scientists are deeply gratified if *anything* they
publish finds wide utility. It's not that what we do is worthless, but for
some unforeseen reason inconsequential in the research environment,
research results can't be widely implemented.  Man! Is this off-topic or
what?  Enough already! I'll bore you no more!

I should have said that my characters want to be able to use the radio by
Christmas *1945*, not 1946.  By 1946, ham radio was back and a done deal.
Honestly, I'll be amazed if anyone ever sees the story besides me and the
editor who rejects it, but I'm having a lot of fun learning about this stuff.

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP