[AMRadio] WW II Army Field Sets

James M. Walker chejmw at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat Jul 10 00:23:14 EDT 2004

Well Kim,
I am not sure I understand what is is you are planning to do here. Write
a story is one thing, but why the desire to move a transmitter to 20
meter
operation?

If it is just for the pleasure of doing it, for a soldier in WWII, I
think
there would not be much call for that sort of thing. Assuming a soldier
got hold of the set, and have sufficient time I would have to say
"maybe"
, would it work, again maybe. Take any enterprising young radio operator
and give him enough time to tinker, and he will probably be able to move
just about any transmitter to just about any frequency.

Not enough info though to determine, if it would have been
possible/feasible
for that time frame.

As for the "portable" BC-610! I once talked with an NCO who was in his
"cups"
and talking about how he and about a platoon of guys carried a
SRC-299/399
set into the jungle for one of the coast watchers. He said, they carried
everything, including a generator, and hid the thing in a cave for the
coast watcher and his helpers. I had to sort of accept his word however
as
there are some real strange stories down under about the coast watcher
guys.

Caveat emptor!

So why the modification to twenty meters by a radio operator in WWII,
and who
was he going to talk to?
Jim
WB2FCN