[AMRadio] WW II Army Field Sets

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 12 10:40:49 EDT 2004

Ah!  The perfect match!  The ART-13 it will be.

The basic premise of the story is that 20 m is opened for ham use before
Christmas, 1944 (this is plausible, but I can't find when -- precisely --
20 m was reopened). Through an improbable event Christmas 1943, an American
signal corpsman, also a ham, and a German signalman, is also a ham, learn
of each other and this changes both of their outlooks. The American
subsequently volunteers for the occupation. Along the way, he and his
German counterpart become friends, and the American decides to revive his
(and, it turns out, the German's) tradition of Christmas Eve QSOs on the
just-reopened 20 m band, simultaneously being the DX, and putting Germany
back on the amateur bands, not to mention the human aspect of it all.

Yes, it's a sappy, sentimental Christmas story, but I thought I'd try my hand.

Thanks for all the information; this helps a lot in getting the details right.

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP

P.S.: I grew up using a my Dad's (W5JHJ) rig: A J-44 hand key, an original
Shure 55 microphone, a Hammarlund HQ-170A, A Hammarlund HQ-110, and a WRL
Globe Champion 350.  He still has the rigs and keeps them in perfect
working order, along with his "modern" FT-102. As a kid, I was always
captivated by fantasies of where that J-44 key might have been before my
Dad got it, surplus.