[AMRadio] WW II Army Field Sets

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 12 17:24:28 EDT 2004

Quite right: no B-29s served in Europe because they came on line too late.
In the fictional world of short stories some suspension of belief is
likely, so I think there's an easy way out. In October, well after even VJ
day, the supply sergeant serving our protagonist inexplicably receives a
shipment of ART-13s as "surplus." Never asked for 'em, doesn't know why he
got 'em, but they were duly signed for and are now his.

I'd really love to use the BC-610, but I can't think of a good way to for
an individual to transport it without making that short story in itself. In
fact, there are many factual short stories about moving -- much less making
operational -- BC-610s right here on the web :)

I just sent off quick query to the Signal Corps asking about HF CW
protocols during WW II. That's something that I haven't found *any*
information on outside of a single blurb from the British guy about
operations in Korea.

Now that I've read a bit about the BC-610, I'd love to try my hand at
getting one back on the air :)  It looks like the SCR-399 was the ultimate
Field Day set up!

Kim Elmore, N5OP