[AMRadio] Somewhat Off topic - lightning protection

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 13 13:40:11 EDT 2004

In cases like this "ground potential" is a relative term due to ground
currents.  The resistance of the ground itself can cause large potential
gradients over short distances.  This is exactly why it's possible to get
killed by lighting without being directly hit: the potential across the
distance between your feet can be more than sufficient to generate a
voltage that the soles of your shoes cannot withstand. Peak currents in a
cloud-to-ground strike can be exceed 50 kA on a regular basis and it
doesn't take much R to get a big E with that I. The currents involved are
truly mind-boggling.

The advice your brother got is essentially correct: a *very* conductive
grid needs to be installed all around the protected site such that large
currents will not induce large voltage gradients.  Copper sulfate won't do.
Experimental weather radars I've seen are protected against lightning with
a 00 ga copper wire mesh within the ground (3-5' deep) with many ground
rods, all bonded together using thermite.  A very coarse heavy-wire grid
above the radar dish elevation acts as pseudo Faraday cage. Everything
needs to be bonded together and then bonded to this heavy ground to be
protected. Lightning protection is an expensive proposition and has to be
weighed against the potential losses, but a professional analysis and
installation is probably the best way to go.

Kim Elmore, N5OP