[AMRadio] Somewhat Off topic - lightning protection

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Jul 14 00:11:32 EDT 2004

The REC protector is probably available from any power company.  Here in the
Sulphur, OK area I am on an REC and called them about it when I first heard
about the unit.  They knew immediately and quoted 50 dollar installation + 5
bucks per month.  They supply protection inside the house for 3 appliances
for the 5 dollars per month and you can have them install more than that.  I
forget the exact details.

I fooled around and haven't had it installed yet then the other day during a
storm we had a hit very close to the house.  I heard the sizzle and the
crack of the bolt immediately.  I am calling tomorrow for installation.  I
am worried because my house is built on fill dirt that is 24 inches above
bedrock just like the telescope installation mentioned earlier.

Call your power company and ask for the sales department.  The unit plugs
into the meter base and is grounded to the ground rod then there are surge
protectors in the house.  If you don't have any luck, let me know and I will
call my REC and get the name and particulars on it.

73  Jim
de W5JO