[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Crystal alternative?

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Thu Jul 15 11:35:13 EDT 2004

I am currently gathering parts for a synthesized DDS VFO as per the James Hagerty Wa1FFL design. There was an article in QST a few years back about this kit. I have the PCB, and most of the parts now. The kit comes with info on how to interface with "boat-anchors". I hope to finish this in the coming months. The cost is $40.00 for PCB, and a few important chips. Finishing the kit looks like the total cost is about $125.00 depending on how fancy you make it (like the chassis selected). The DDS chip can be custom programmed, and I picked 2.5 to 12.5 Mhz. I figure that will allow me to run 160-15 meters on my Central electronics 20A (beat against 9 mhz). I will have to double the VFO to run 40 meters however ( 9 + 7.29 = 16.29, so I'll double the VFO at 1/2 that..maybe a push-push doubler).

Sure looking forward to getting away from drifting VFO's, or being "rock-bound".

Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO