[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Crystal alternative?

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 11:52:54 EDT 2004

>I am currently gathering parts for a synthesized DDS VFO as per the James
>Hagerty Wa1FFL design. ...
>Sure looking forward to getting away from drifting VFO's, or being
>"rock-bound".

I have a DDS VFO made by S&S Engineering.  Picked mine up at a close-out
sale at Dayton one year for less than $100.  I have only used it on 10m,
multiplying up from 40m, but even the 4th harmonic on 10 was rock stable.  I
can turn mine on, dial up WWV on 15 mc/s, and it is within a 100~ of the
frequency.

The only drawback is that I have to run it all  the time.  The chip doesn't
have enough memory to store frequencies, so whenever you turn it off it
returns to the default frequency next time you start it back up.  Before I
can use it on HF, I need to mount it in a case that is shielded well  enough
that I don't hear it in my rx.  That's exactly what I do with the PTO in a
highly modified T-368 exciter unit that I now use as a vfo on hf, and with
regulated DC on the filaments and plates it is rock stable.

Don K4KYV