[AMRadio] RG 6

W7QHO at aol.com W7QHO at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 00:45:50 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/18/04 7:09:29 PM, jcandela at prodigy.net writes:

>     Check out the following link:
>
> http://www.belden-wire.com/
>

> Go to Catalog, then "technical info", and punch in RG-6. There is a whole
> lot of variations to RG-6. That said, it looks like 300 volts RMS is the
> rating.
>
> The place I work at uses RG-8 (not the foam stuff) for transporting high
> voltage DC at 40,000 volts without problems. For sure the DC rating (not
> specified) is higher than the AC RMS rating. That stuff is really tough to
> punch through.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Jim (W5JO),

 I checked an old reference I have which lists RG-6 (no suffix) with a note
"Modified by RG-6A/U" and gives a diameter of .332 in. (but no voltage rating).
  Going to the Beldon site referenced by the other Jim, RG-6A/U cable is
rated at 2700 volts RMS and the diameter is shown as .332 in.   Many other types
of RG-6(*) listed as well (as pointed out before) and all these are rated at
300 volts RMS.   However,   I note these listings all show smaller diameters
varying between .222 to .298 in.   Bottom line here, I guess, is check the
diameter of the cable you have.

Dennis D. W7QHO
Glendale, CA