[AMRadio] Pix of BPL hardware on utility poles in Cincinnati

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Thu Jul 22 13:48:36 EDT 2004

I thought the multiplexed data connection to the network was made at the
power distribution station and then sent along the power lines. Repeaters
along the lines keep the signal to a defined level. Probably local
neighborhood/street hubs provide the necessary port connection to the
homes. Each AC connection to a home probably has a specific network
address.

Actually this provides additional advantages to the Utility Companies
even if you don't subscribe to the internet service. A modem could be
hung on your electric, gas, or water meters, plugged into an AC outlet,
and now all meter readings could be done back at their facilities via the
BPL internet connection, eliminating the services of electric, gas, or
water meter readers.

Pete, wa2cwa