[AMRadio] Pix of BPL hardware on utility poles in Cincinnati

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Thu Jul 22 17:53:24 EDT 2004

The basic premise for BPL is a sound idea and an idea that has been
around for a long time. Back in the 70's utilities wanted more local and
automated monitoring of electrical and gas usage in real time in homes
and businesses but there really was nothing available to do that
accurately. While at Bell Labs, our data group developed several "boxes"
to aid utilities to do this type of monitoring.  They required dedicated
telephone line connections. They never worked very well. With BPL, this
type of monitoring via the internet could become a reality. This could
save them a ton of money. Providing customers with internet service adds
to the revenue stream. Unfortunately, like the early PC's that had very
low speed ranges, BPL is starting out in a frequency range that's easy to
implement and provides a good revenue generating "trial". If BPL
providers can weather the initial storm of issues that's bound to happen,
eventually you'll see the frequency range move into the much higher
regions.  I'm told that prototype designs are now under test in lab
scenarios.

Pete, wa2cwa