[AMRadio] RE: Pix of BPL hardware on utility poles in Cincinnati

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Fri Jul 23 20:43:34 EDT 2004

The cellphone GPS can be disabled physically with a bit of care
and fine tools. Look at the chipsets required, the GPS is a
separate receiver from the phone, and if you can't get to the
data path between the GPS and phone processors (because most of
these are BGA instead of pins now and the trace may be inside the
multilayer board), then you can always disconnect the filter
feeding the GPS RX from the antenna. Another attack is to
disconnect power from the GPS RX. It usually has its own
decoupling inductors and such. To the controller, it will appear
'not installed'.

See the websites of ST.com, TI.com, Motorola, etc.. for these
chipsets.

No boat anchors as a rule for the Amish. They do occasionally
have a phone somewhere, perhaps in town.

From: "Merz Donald S" <merz.ds at mellon.com>

When I went to get a cell phone for my daughter about 2 months
ago, I was shocked to discover that cell phones now come with GPS
locators. This is ostensibly a "service" so the company can find
your phone if you lose it. But, of course, this means that they
can also find YOU. And it is galling that only the company can
use the GPS feature, not the cell phone user.

The Amish life style is looking better and better. Can you have
boatanchors and be a ham if you are Amish?

73, Don Merz, N3RHT