[AMRadio] Anyone Want To Do Some Welding?

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Wed Jul 28 10:43:13 EDT 2004

During my long-awaited and far too short vacation this month, I dropped in on Morry, K3DPJ. He's been fighting through a lot of health problems but seems to be in good spirits. Morry is a mechanical and electronic wizard who has done precision work for a glowing list of clients. For fun, he built steam engines and boilers from scratch. His workmanship is incredible.

Morry is also an active ham, boatanchor restorer and quite knowledgeable about hollow state and solid state repair. Like many of us, he's got a lot of projects going on at once. One of these is a rebuild of a Gonset HF amp using 4 811As in a grounded grid configuration. But I wasn't so much interested in the Gonset as I was in the rig holding the amp's chassis.

Morry built himself a thing to hold almost any chassis and allow it to be rotated into several different, convenient positions. The thing is simplicity itself. It starts with a $29.95 engine dolly from Wal Mart. Bolted onto that is Morry's chassis jig which is welded together out of ordinary steel angle iron and square tubes. The chassis is held on by some sort of machinists clamps that he showed me--I forget the brand name but 3 of them held that Gonset chassis like glue. The width of chassis that can be accommodated is adjustable.

If a person could weld, and has a way to cut and drill the steel, I am guessing it would take maybe an hour to build one of these and something less to turn out copies. Morry said that he would be willing to produce some drawings in AutoCAD if anyone was interested. But he doesn't have time to devote to building them himself.

Well, boo hoo--I can't weld and have none of the tools necessary to do this. But I want one of these. So I thought I would throw the idea out to the list: If I get these drawings from Morry, is there anyone on the list who might also want one and who could take on the welding and cutting work?

73, Don Merz, N3RHT